Being the parent or guardian of a child with special needs comes with lots of challenges. The amount of information you need to help your child can be overwhelming. Just know that you’re not alone. Approximately 23% of children in the Framingham school district have special needs. The Framingham Special Education Parent Advisory Council, also known as the F-SEPAC, is here to help and support you.
Upcoming F-SEPAC events
Wednesday February 12, , 2014 7-9 PM
Woodrow Wilson School, 169 Leland St, Framingham, MA 01702
Workshop: Basic Rights in Special Education in Portuguese
Direitos Básicos na Educação Especial (Portuguese): Esta palestra fornece as fámilias uma introdução de seus direitos e responsabilidades abaixo da Lei para Educação de Invíduos Deficientes (IDEA) e lei de Educação Especial de Massachusetts. A palestra é designada para ajudar os pais a aprender como ser auxiliadores mais efetivos com a escola para decider a elegibidade da criança para uma educação especial, planejamento, decisões e para monitorar o progresso educacional de suas crianças.O funcionários na Federação sugere que você assista a esta palestra primeiro para ter uma melhor compreensão das informações fornecidas em outras de nossas palestras.
Basic Rights in Special Education: This workshop provides families with an introduction to their rights and responsibilities under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Massachusetts Special Education Law and No Child Left Behind (NCLB). It is designed to help parents learn how to be effective partners with their child’s school to decide the child’s eligibility for special education, and to plan, make decisions and monitor their child’s progress in school. Workshop materials are also available in Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese. Federation staff suggest that you attend this workshop first in order to better understand our other workshops.
IMPORTANT NOTICE – Annual Election of new board was held on May 16, 2013.
The election results are:
Co-chairs: Yael Steinsaltz and Susan Arndt
Treasurer: Luan Jasheri
Secretary: Maggie McClennan
membership – get support
General membership is open to any resident of Framingham or person affiliated with the Framingham Public Schools. All meetings are open to the general public. Become a member.
Voting membership is required in order to vote in annual officer elections and other business that comes before any F-SEPAC meeting. Voting membership shall be given to any general member who is either:
- A parent or guardian of a child with special needs residing in Framingham with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Accommodation Plan.
- A student not less than fourteen (14) years of age who is on an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 Accommodation Plan from the Town of Framingham.
Together F-SEPAC members can…
- Learn and understand the school culture(s) in our district and discover how to get things done. We will seek information on policies, curricula, and laws that affect our children and share that info.
- Share accurate and timely information with members, parents, the school district, and the community at large.
- Work within the PAC, with PTOs, and the school district in a constructive manner, maintaining respect for democratic procedures and a tolerance for the diversity of opinions.
P.O. Box 2393
Framingham, MA 01703